#1 DeadMySky

DeadMySky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:27 PM

Here is my story:

- Got a MySky in Jan 2009
- It never worked right (+/- 15 degrees off..at least).  I wasted A LOT of time trying to debug this
- Waited for a new unit to exchange (thinking the unit might be bad...although from the reviews, it seems that the engineering on this product was just inferior).
- MySky was discontinued
- Traded in for a Celestron SkyScout...which works GREAT
- While I was there, bought a CELESTRON telescope, as I do not have a good feeling about Meade at all.

Their customer service is horrible, and they don't even bother to check these forums.  Man, did Meade ever screw up. They tried to race Celestron to the market with an inferior product I guess. It is a shame, because I really liked the MySky interface.

Caveat Emptor!

Ed

#2 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1996 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

IM sorry it didnt work for you.
Meade telescopes work very nice IMO.
I have never owned a Celestron scope.
I have used Meade scopes for 25 years with very little problems.
In the future you may want to have your first post a bit more friendly and not join just to complain about a product.
There are many people here that can help debug problems if they happen.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#3 DeadMySky

DeadMySky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:28 AM

I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
Meade telescopes work very nice IMO.
I have never owned a Celestron scope.
I have used Meade scopes for 25 years with very little problems.
In the future you may want to have your first post a bit more friendly and not join just to complain about a product.
There are many people here that can help debug problems if they happen.

Regards

Mark

Sorry Mark, but the reason I joined was to explicitly complain about this product. Rest assured, before I posted I followed this and other fora to determine what the best course of action would be. Even my distributor told me that Meade dropped the ball on this.  Based upon my research, there was nobody on this, or any other, forum that could debug this problem.  Please re-read this forum to get a better 'view' of the MySky. For a third party unbiased review, please see here: http://www.weasner.c...2007/mySKY.html

I am sure that Meade makes some fine telescopes. All the optics for Meade, Celestron etc are made in Chinese sweatshops, and as long as you slap them together properly they should work. However, as I stated above, based upon their customer service and this frustrating inferior product, I would not recommend Meade. If this forum is just to blow smoke and say how great Meade is, sorry, I can't do it. I was fully prepared to buy a Meade scope prior to this debacle.

Ed

#4 mhminor

mhminor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

I purchased a MySky about 6 months ago from OPT when they went on sale. I have not had any problems with it as others have had.  It is disheartening when a manufacturer discontinues a product - I purchased a Meade LPI from OPT at the same time.  It also was on sale - perhaps I should have been suspicious. My laptop uses the VISTA operating system, and of course I couldn't  get it to work, even with the overrides recommended elsewhere on this forum.  Am I angry?  Absolutely! But not enough to walk away from Meade products if what they offer is truly the best for whatever I am trying to do.

At my age brand loyalty goes a long way, but as I become more familiar of the world of astronomy and the nature of telescope/accessories manufacturing my purchasing will become more critical.  Product lines come and go in everything. With Meade, at least they are within driving distance for me, and I can always show up on their doorstep.

Good luck!

Mike

#5 hunter

hunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:19 AM

I'm thinking of getting a meade my sky which  version has the problems the first version or the my sky+ version 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users