Jump to content


Photo

Autostar Updater 5.9 Problems.


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phmode

phmode

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

Background.

I have an LX200GPS with Autostar II (software is v 4.2g).

I have just updated Autostar Suite (to v 5.5) and Autostar Updater (to v 5.9).

The main reason for updating was because of problems connecting to my laptop using RS232-USB converter.

I have an old Tosh laptop with a serial port which connects OK but it is on its last legs and I only keep it to update the Autostar II on my LX and the autostar on my ETX. In this day and age it should be easy with a converter.

Having tried four different converters, none of which worked with my new laptop, I finally bit the bullet and bought the genuine Meade item from BC&F in UK. My current laptop runs Windows XP.

I can connect the Autostar Suite to the telescope and control the scope with the remote handbox.

My Problem!

When I try to update the handbox using Autostar Updater v 5.9 by clicking the 'connect' button, the application freezes and refuses to respond. I have tried nine times now with no success.

What is wrong with the latest version of Autostar Updater?

Thanks in advance.

#2 John S.

John S.

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

Hi
Did you install the driver for the converter?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

#3 phmode

phmode

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hi John

Thanks for the response.

Yup, installed it and it appears in the programs list as PL-2303 USB - Serial Driver.

With the 'old' versions of the software this driver and converter worked OK. I have only had this problem since I updated everything this week.

Also, I assume that as I can control the scope with the remote handbox the converter is in fact working! I may of course be wrong not being a comms expert.

When the converter is fitted it shows up in the Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Ports, so again, I am assuming it is working OK.

I have set the comms port in Autostar Suite to the same as that in Device Manager.

I am in the process of Uninstalling the driver that came with the converter and Installing the one from the Meade website. I will report back on this if anything changes.

Again many thanks,

Brian

#4 akjudge

akjudge

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

Brian,

If you still haven't been able to update successfully yet, you may want to try using StarPatch.

I personnally think that Starpatch does a much better job at updating the Meade.
Starpatch is free (for the LX200 GPS) and can be found here:

http://www.stargps.ca/StarPatch.htm

Let me know if this works for you.

Jim

PS.  I put the entire instructions on the other posting in this forum regarding problems updating the firmware.

#5 phmode

phmode

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice. Since the original posting I have tried the following with some success, albeit in stages.

I uninstalled the entire Autostar Suite (including Updater) and also the PL-2303 Driver and was intrigued to find that I still had a copy of the Updater on the system.
Control Panel could NOT delete this copy as the file Install.com could not be found!!!!
Also, when I was experiencing the original problems, I remember getting a message when I opened Updater, telling me that a new version was available and asking if I wanted to download it.
Seeing as I had just opened the latest version (5.9) I was well confused; perhaps this rogue version lurking in the system was the problem; hopefully I will never know.

I simply deleted everything on the system that was anything to do with Meade and did a clean install of Autostar Suite (which includes Updater) together with a clean install of the Serial - USB driver.

I reset the comms port on the Autostar Suite and it connected OK and the Remote Handbox worked as did the  mini handbox when the scope was connected via the serial port.

I started Remote Handbox from the Programs/Meade menu and reset the comms port. This then worked as expected.

Finally, I started the updater from within Remote Handbox but again it froze!!!

I restarted the computer, started the Updater from the Programs/Meade menu and this was when I realised (doh) that it also needed its comm port setting. I duly set it and it connected and updated perfectly; well, it would have done if the handbox hadn't run out of memory. A minor point considering everything.

So, in a nutshell when using Autostar, Remote Handbox and the Updater, you have to set the comms port on all three programs; some of you may be thinking 'what a dork, everyone knew that!' Everyone that is except me.

So, I am now a happy bunny.

However, thanks for the info about StarPatch. I will download it and try using it because if it is better, then I shall be happy to use it in the future.

Many thanks to you and John for the various bits of advice and I have now written myself a note to learn more about comms ports!!

Best regards, Brian

#6 akjudge

akjudge

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:11 AM

Brian,

I did not know that you had to set the port in all three programs either...

Learn something new each day...

Glad everything is working for you now.

Jim




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users