6 replies to this topic

#1 kentuckey

kentuckey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:26 AM

Hi All

I am having trouble connecting to my Meade ETX 125 PE, via USB serial port adapter. I am using Windows 7 operating system i was running vista but upgraded, i am running in XP compatbility mode. but still I keep getting com not present or already in use there are no drivers from meade support for this, so can any one suggest how to solve this problem, your help in this matter would be very much appreciated.

#2 jwake2

jwake2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

Hi Kentucky....I am having the same problem, but different.  In XP mode, I get a connection (attach) then about 2 -3 seconds later I get a disconnect. I have a Keyspan USA19H serial adapter with a vista driver update (2007), but they say it is not compatable w/64 bit. That seems to be the "rub". DSI doesn't work either. So' I am buying Orion Starshoot.  I also have "Prolific" loaded from meade's download site. I assume you checked the obvious things like cable & plugs have been tested? Some others tell me to check computer BIOS, and other remedies. Everyone seems to have a different situation and suggestion, but no real success. There is a lot of info on the Yahoo DSI group. More info there than I can offer. There also is a very comprehensive explanation of how to get XP mode up (you arew already there) and get a connection.
Let's keep this thread alive as we progress and learn more. Future looks bleak for me.
Clear skies,
Jim

#3 kentuckey

kentuckey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:14 AM

Jim
Thanks

To get XP mode to run in virtual PC on windows 7 you need a compatible Processor which is hardare virtulization asissted which mine is not i have emailed Acer to find out which processer is compatible i have found this out at intel website they have a list of compatible processor,s which are hardware virtualization compatable also AMD have compatable processors as well

#4 jwake2

jwake2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

Happy New Year...Oh, I thought you already were past that hurdle and were running vitual XP mode which, like you said, can only be done with Windows7 Pro and above...not the Home version. The 64 bit issue is still a compatability question.
  I downloaded that comprehensive explantion I mentioned earler to send to you, but I don't know how to attach it here. I think it might be good for you.
  I switched back to my older XP computer last nite to make sure all was still working great as usual....OH OH.....I got the timed out error message, or not recognized by another scope program I have (Starry Night). I wonder if I fried my serial adapter? It's getting old and been abused with hot & cold/frosty viewing sessions. But it worked fine a couple of weeks ago b4 I tried hundreds of times to connect w/win7.

#5 kentuckey

kentuckey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

just bought a second hand desktop with Xp professional installed. Autostar will connect with autostar suite in Xp but will only connect in via handbox protocol i can control my ETX 125 from my desk top conecting via comm port i am using meade usb/rs232 adapter with 20m pc cable for a 497 auto star which i got from my telescope supplier.
I tried this with my laptop which run windows 7 with the meade usb/rs232 adapter with 20m pc cable for a 497 auto star and i got it to work but will only connect in via handbox protocol  without the display box which is blacked out but will work with voice enabled i also down loaded a driver for windows 7 from this link from the prolific site
  http://www.prolific....loads.asp?ID=31 hope this helps

Regards Steve

#6 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

I also downloaded prolific for my USB toRS232 cable from the Meade site.I'm using the Gateway/Acer/E-machine desktop unit.I uploaded the information from my disc,then pluged in the cable(in the back) then checked with Prolific.com and received the info off there site,ended up with using comport-3.I don't know if this info will help,but I hope it wll.  Clear skies. :)         
PS-- I'm also using win-7
Jeff

#7 mrstar002

mrstar002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:40 AM

I am having a similar problem as described. After spending many hours searching for a USB to RS232 driver I came across the prolific driver. Although this seemed to work it will not recognise ports above com9. When I open devise manager it often shows that ports 1 to 9 are in use, sometimes even up to port 12. Once you use a port greater than 9 then the Autostar software indicates "Port already in use"

Personally I am battling with all aspects of the Meade software and are seriously considering moving to something different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users