17 replies to this topic

#1 RJTYREE

RJTYREE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

Hi All !

Just wondering if Meade has any plans to release a 64 bit driver for the DSI II's AND DSI III's ?
I have a couple thousand dollars worth of these cameras that I can't use because all my new
computer hardware is Windows 7 64 bit OS. I have seen all the work arounds like go back to XP 32 or
use VMWARE etc. and can't believe I would have to do something like that to use my investment in DSI cameras....really sad indeed!

Rod
  • Cexbeenda likes this

#2 wsuriano

wsuriano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

I'd love to hear some good news on this as well.  People who have spoken to Meade reps do not have good news, saying they were told Meade has no plans to develop 64 bit drivers, but that is far from definitive.  Any official word?

Bill

#3 RJTYREE

RJTYREE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

Hi Bill,

I have heard just about the same thing as you...not much encouraging!

Lately I have been working on this problem from a different direction.
Craig Stark sells Nebulosity which is an easy to use alternative to the Autostar Suite.
According to what I have read, Craig wrote his own DSI driver.
I am trying to encourage him to write a 64 bit version for all of us
who need one. I have not heard back from him on this ....but I am hopeful and
will pass anything I hear along in this posting.

Rod

#4 wsuriano

wsuriano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:21 PM

Rod:

If Craig could/would do that, he would be the hero of many.  Maybe we should start a campaign on the CN forum?

Bill

#5 corniche

corniche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:11 AM

I recently invested in a used Meade DSI colour and gave up on the thing after hours trying to load drivers with XP and Vista. I had to return camera and can't risk the same thing happening again, so am looking at alternatives. SBIG monochrome with filters looks favourite at the moment. Sorry Meade but you've only got yourselves to blame for this one much as I would like your DSI.

Mike

#6 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

I don’t understand what the big trouble is to do a 64 bit driver.  It should be pretty easy, even as easy as to recompile the original source code (with maybe a few edits) in a 64 bit compiler.  If Meade could make the source code available, any number of people including myself would love to work on it.  I just don’t understand it.
  The rest of the program (I am only familar with the LPI program) seems to run under 64 bit Windows.  The driver seems to be the only problem.  If Meade could make known what the problem is, I am sure there are some brilliant minds that would love to help.  I can only assume it is not as easy as it seems.
Russell Hurlbert

#7 RJTYREE

RJTYREE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

Hi Bill & Russell,

Just a small update, I have not received a reply from Craig Stark on perhaps writing the 64 bit driver.
Bill, I'm with you perhaps he or someone else needs to see how popular this would be.
As I have stated before in many different places, I would BUY the new driver and be happy to do so!!
Anyway,  A CN effort might be just the thing...

Russell, I'm a programmer also and really can't see why this is such a big deal either. I believe a re-compile with the memory/data handling routines modified to handle 64 bit numbers would get you a long way towards getting that done...but as far as I know only two groups have such source code for that driver and they do not appear to be talking so.....??

Sorry I don't have better news....

Rod

#8 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Rod,
  It’s nice to have a fellow programmer around.  With the economy the way it is, I am sure they have a lot to think about at Meade (I took a gander at their stock price).  Hopefully, given a little time, they will settle into a catch-up mode and address some of these “loose ends” that will certainly improve their sales.  I sure hope so anyway.  They have been around a long time (I waited many years hoping to afford a Meade scope) and I really hope they do well.
Russell Hurlbert

#9 RJTYREE

RJTYREE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:53 AM

I'm with you Russel....I hope Meade makes it as well. I have an LX200 gps and several DSI's of different models. I know they are having difficulties and have moved their mfg to Mexico.
So, realistically not really expecting much from them about this but...I was hoping one of the third parties might step up....but so far they don't interested either. I am going to still push for a 64 bit driver for the DSI's every change I get. I will keep posting here as things develope. Mean while, I'm planning for a observatory and that keeping me distracted for the time being. hahaha

Rod

#10 skipper_doug

skipper_doug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

I bought a new HP Compaq laptop to replace my old laptop. It had Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit loaded.

I found out from posts like this that Meade does not provide 64 bit drivers so I could not get my LPI or DSI working.

I first tried downloading VMWare and installed XP in the virtual machine but still could not get the LPI or DSI working.

No help from HP after 3 phone calls. They were not able to provide me with a 32 bit version of Windows 7.

Finally I bought the full version of Windows 7 Professional and installed the 32 bit version on my laptop. The DSI started working but still no luck with the LPI.

I downloaded the Microsoft Windows 7 virtual machine and XP and installed them. Now the DSI, LPI, and USB to Serial adapter (for telescope control) work in the XP virtual machine. If I just want to use the DSI then I can run in Windows 7. For the LPI or both I run in the XP virtual machine.

Doug

#11 hal9000_mark1

hal9000_mark1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:40 AM

Hi all,

I have opened a thread on "Cloudynights" debating this topic (http://www.cloudynig...all&fpart=&vc=1).

If you know someone owning a DSI camera it would be nice to make him know about this post. Maybe we could find a solution.

Thank you

#12 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1916 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

I have been in contact with my friends at Meade trying to get us a driver for
the DSI series imagers for the past month.
Ive been in contact with them about 2ce a week on updates
Today I was informed that there is a working driver for the 64 bit systems.
All that we are waiting on now is a Microsoft certification on it then it will
be released!
Through work Meade has already completed the driver for the usb to rs232
adapter.
Quote from Meade
"Yes, please feel free to let everyone know that Meade stands behind their
products and is not out of the market"
Hopefully Microsoft will not delay any certificates.
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#13 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

Great news Mark!  Thanks for the update and all you have done.
Russell
Russell Hurlbert

#14 RJTYREE

RJTYREE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

This is Wonderful news...I would like to thank Mark for talking with his friends at Meade and for finding out this great great news...!

Thanks Mark and thanks to Meade for moving forward with their support of some really
great ccd camera equipment !!!

Tye

#15 CleverNight

CleverNight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

I'll go a step further and say "Thank YOU Mark" for getting this done. Meade clearly did not want to develop the drivers. I suspect Mark had a lot to do with them getting on the ball and taking care of their customers. Mark, we ALL owe you! Thank you!

-Patrick Holland
Meade LX200GPS 14" & ACF 10"
Explore Scientific AR152, CF127 APO, 102mm APO & 80mm APO
Meade DS2130AT - Grab 'n Go
Celestron C8, Meade SN6
Starlight Xpress H-18, QHY10, Atik 460EX, 450C
Canon XSi &T2i & Orion Starshoot Imager V.2
Orion SSS III, DSI I and LPI Imagers

#16 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:41 AM

What has happened with the new drivers?

Have they been released yet?

#17 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1916 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

Havnt been released yet
As soon as they are ill let you know
I think its supposed to be this week on the release.

Regards'

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#18 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1916 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:27 AM