• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 selenio

selenio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hello all, I bougth a new LX90  GPS. The automatic alignment put  the two alignment Stars out of the field  of the viewfinder (very far from it).When I performed calibrate sensors and  inmediately  ( without turn off the switch of the telescope) automatic alignment, the two stars are now very close to the center of the crosshairs of the viewfinder . But when I shut down the power ,the autostar forgetting the sensor calibration  and the new alignment stars are very far from FOV of the  viewfinder
The battery of the LNT is new and verificated.The version of the autostar is 5CE1.
Any corrections and additional info on the subject will be welcome and appreciated.
Regards to all,

#2 Toxo

Toxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

Selinio,

Welcome to the 4M community!!  I  have both an LX 90 and an LX200R, and know exactly what you are going through.  In my particular case, I live near a large iron ore deposit and it throws the compas off.  On a tripod, I found that in ALT/AZ mode I had to run the Calibrate Sensors every time I took the telescope out in order for it to autoalign well.  I just got into the habit of doing it, and it has served me very well since.  Once the LX200R went on a wedge and a pier it was no longer necessary, but I still do it routinely when I use the LX90.  I also found that if I calibrated the sensors and THEN ran the Smart Mount routine my GoTo accuracy was absolutely fantastic, every time.

So hang in there and do the routine - you may have something locally affecting your system.  It IS a bit of a pain, but I think well worth it.

Cheers,

Toxo

#3 selenio

selenio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for the assistance! It's much appreciated.

Daniel

#4 Russell

Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS.

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

Hi Toxo and Daniel,
For what it’s worth, my 8” LX200gps that I bought in 2005 has always been a good bit off the alignment stars.  I just go ahead and move over to them and get them centered and from that point on it will go to anything I want pretty well.  I calibrated sensors, trained the drive and all that stuff but that never seemed to even make a difference in getting the alignment stars any closer.  But once I get the alignment stars centered I’m good to go.  I guess it should also be noted that I use it for casual viewing. No polar mount or anything like that.
Russell Hurlbert

#5 Taras12

Taras12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

I found that the alignment is twitchy if you are around anything that gives off a slight magnetic field, eg. powerlines. 

#6 KevinLight2

KevinLight2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

I have a similar problem and need some advice, too.
My auto align has worked once or twice.

The scope goes generally to the 2 star to align but I have to do a lot of centering to get the star into the FOV.
Meade support told me to run "reset" "train drive" and set motors.

I also did calibrate the sensors.

All versions of ALIGN come back immediately with --> alignment failed.

Meade wants me to mail my 10 inch LX90 GPS back to them and charge my credit card $350 to fix it.

Is this normal "support" to Meade scope owners?

OMG, I was shocked.

Anything else to try?

Kevin

#7 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1919 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Things to remember.
Every time you tear down the scope and reset it up unless you place it in the same exact spot the alignment stars will be off.
NOw things to do
Make sure scope is level this is a MUST.
Train and calibrate drives on a terrestial object This is a MUST!
when setting up in ALT/AZ make sure your scope is in the home poisition and the face leg is pointing south if i remember correctly.
Turn scope on and select 2 star alignment
Center each of the alignment stars using the hand paddle then hit enter for both.
When the paddle reads object select your target and hit goto and your object should be in the FOV of a 25 mm EP (this is for DSO Planets will be slightly off.
To help refine gotos slew the scope to a known star using the star menu and select a bright star Summer time Vega works well.
goto that star with the go to command it should be very close to center.
If it is a bit off center the star and hold the enter key for a few seconds and it will beep asking to sync on the star sync on the star and the rest of the gotos should be spot on if you dont move the scope.
Initial setup on any given night for alignment shouldnt take no more than 2 to 3 minutes for your alignment.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users