• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 evoarny

evoarny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

i bought a set of eyepieces and filters for my ds2114 and idk where or hoto put the filters? ive tryed searching online for help but nothing comes up can someone help me?

#2 CleverNight

CleverNight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

Evoarny, can you please write again, I am not sure I understand the question.

-Patrick Holland
Meade LX200GPS 14" & ACF 10"
Explore Scientific AR152, CF127 APO, 102mm APO & 80mm APO
Meade DS2130AT - Grab 'n Go
Celestron C8, Meade SN6
Starlight Xpress H-18, QHY10, Atik 460EX, 450C
Canon XSi &T2i & Orion Starshoot Imager V.2
Orion SSS III, DSI I and LPI Imagers

#3 PapaJ

PapaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

If I understand you,You want to know were to put the filters for your 2114.
They screw onto the end of your eyepieces, then you must put your eyepieces in your scope and refocus.
I hope I'm understanding this correctly!  :(
Jeff

#4 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:31 AM

DS-2114 D=114mm, F=1000, f/8.8
How do those specs determine how powerful of an eypeice will work in the scope?
I bought a Meade 5.5 Plossl 5 Element eyepeice and it does not work very well. I think it is
TOO powerful for my scope.
So, how does one determine how strong of an eyepeice I can upgrade to?
Thanks,
Burt

#5 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1966 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

With my 2114, I titally rebuilt it.  I had the mirror refigured to a parabola and it comes in with a little better than an eights wave accuracy. (somewhat subjective measurement)  I replaced the existing secondary mirror with a curved vane spider and a 1/20th wave mirror that is 1.3 inches in diameter, which is smaller than the housing of the original mirror.  I purchased a 2.2X KLEE barlow that has good parabolic correction in it.  It is a superlative barlow for this application.  With all that work done, the very highest magnification this scope can go to consistently is 165X.  Most likely, about the most you can expect out of a normal 2114 is something on the order of 140X.

To get the mognification of a 2114, take the stated focal length of 1000mm and divide it by the focal length of the eyepiece.

For a telescope like a long tube reflector (f/8 or a focla length eight times its diameter) with a parabolic main mirror and a good secondary that is 20% the diameter of the main mirror or less, take the inches in diameter of the main mirror and multiply that by a constant to get the miximum power you can get out of it.  At sea level, I have been told that constant is 40.  At my house, with an elevation of about 650 feet, the number seems to be in the neighborhood of 50.  I have been told that at the Okie-Tex Star Party, with very dark, still skies at 4200 feet elevation, some people have actually gotten 65 for a ratio.

For a long tube 114mm telescope (4.5 inch) about the highest power you can use under the best conditions is 225X.  From that point, as the focal length goes down, so does the power limit.  By the time you get to f/4, the practical limit for a very good scope is probably the 165X that I was getting.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users