• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sloopjb

sloopjb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

This solution solves com port issues in concert with remote control over the internet. Ok here we go...

I have a Meade LX200GPS running version 4.2g with a DSI III imager on an Asus 1001h netbook with Windows 7 Starter. A fdti usb serial converter was used to connect via the Mead rs232/rj14 adapter then connected to the left rs232 port on the telescope. Both serial adapters I tried seemed to work in Autosuite alone or Envisage alone, the driver version did not seem to matter.

As configured the Autosuite and Envisage would not connect together and the Meade Net Scope would not play with Windows 7 Starter. We all paid too much money for this software not to be transparent and plug and play.

Tried about 15 combinations as suggested here and in the Yahoo forum to no avail.

It appears that when Autosuite and Envisage are using internal port drivers that want exclusive control of the port and they will not share with each other. God could only guess which computers and operating systems would work for Net Scope. You will see a lot of forum users talking about combinations of  OS/adapters that work for them. [if they wet their finger just right and stick...]

The port and network protocols have not changed in the last 10 years. This is not a Microsoft problem/glitch... just Meade.  The developers for Meade apparently were not thinking about future compatibility issues.

Here is my solution:

First go to http://www.eterlogic...ducts.VSPE.html and get their free forever serial port emulator, install it, make a virtual splitter device which can take multiple application pipe data and make these multiple applications play nicely together. I connect my telescope to COM3 and made a COM4 virtual port that hooks to COM3. Autosuite, remote handbox, and Envisage then connect to COM4 nicely.

Everything worked smoothly together.

Now for the remote control issue for those wanting to use multiple computers wirelessly in the same house or over the internet to run Autosuite and Envisage together: Radmin 3.4 Remote Control Software which has a free 30 day trial, but you will eventually buy it for $50. In addition to controlling my telescope driven by my Asus netbook from inside my study, I am working with a second grader in another state over the internet to get some star fields just above Sagattarius to capture Pluto later this summer. (some details on my web site www.jupiterspacestation.org)

Best regards, John

#2 hargy

hargy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:16 AM

Hi all; ok it is way to early for me but I will try to make this sound some what intelligent. With all of your posts. I am now able to use Autostar Suite and envisage. I can connect my scope to my laptop and control it. I can also use the DSI II Pro at the same time. However I can not have Autostar move the scope with Autostar while I am using the Netsope portion of the program. Is this normal? ALso What is the trick to get 8 second photos without a guide scope. My photos are all blurred. Sorry for the rant but I will list a few questions. Please answer if ya can. I know I am not too far behind in making some of the pictures you guys are.

Would you rely on a hartman mask over manually focusing on faint stars?
If I get a guide scope mounted will I be able to take 30 second shots without a wedge?
Should I tape or cover the slots on the DSI II pro where the Filter bar goes in and use a Filter Wheel instead?
What program will convert the fits into a tiff format that registax5 will read?
What is the "corr gain" used for?

Thanks in advance.
LX200R 10 inch Semi Peir Mount, Willam Optics 2.5 inch Guide Scope. Orion Auto Guider CCD. Meade DSI II Pro CCD. Deepsky Stacker, PhotoShop 5.

#3 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1919 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

A hartman mask will get you close but you should adjust for best stars.
Golf focus makes a mask that comes with software to determine by best pixels for best focus.
I wouldnt expext more than 20 second sub frames without a wedge as field rotation will be getting bad
Center will look goof but edges you will see the rotation bad.
On the DSI III you can use tape to block the holes but it depends on your plans
If you eventually are going to use a filter wheel look st the low profile adapter from scopestuff.
Im not sure how registax works with fits files but I have always used Envisage for auto dark subtraction and auto stacking.
This way you can have a stacked image as well as the individual sub frames to work with.

Regards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#4 hargy

hargy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for the help. I collimated my scope and it was off a hair, hope that sorta fixed some issues I was having on the focusing part. Guess I will have to sell one of my kids to afford the photoshop (thats a joke).
registax is a pain in one way.. I have to save as jpeg but once the stacking is done, I can save as a bmp and work the rest out on envisage.  you the man mark..... thanks again!!
                                          Hargy
LX200R 10 inch Semi Peir Mount, Willam Optics 2.5 inch Guide Scope. Orion Auto Guider CCD. Meade DSI II Pro CCD. Deepsky Stacker, PhotoShop 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users