6 replies to this topic

#1 cmjrff

cmjrff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

Well I am having trouble with the cradle adjustment process to align the ota with the r/a axis.  I have stripped out 2 of the adjusting screws.  I am interested in any suggestions or guidance as to the aligning process (which I've had a hard time with in the past).  Also, does anyone know of an upgrade to the cradle for the lxd75.  My scope is the SN8.  I'm kind of stuck right now trying to decide what to do next.  Meanwhile, the nights are already starting to get shorter in Alaska!  Thanks for any suggestions.
Charles
Homer, AK

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1966 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

I wish I could help you, but since I don't have one of these, I don't have a clue.

Have you tried calling customer support?  At least some of the people answering the phone have been with Meade a long time and might be able to help you.

Anyone that has one of these mounts have any ideas?

For whatever it is worth, you have my sympathies!

Bill Steen

#3 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

Not sure exactly what part you are referring to. Do you mean the dovetail on the scope that attaches to the slot on the mount? Can you attach a picture of the part you are referring to and point out the stripped out screws?

Brent

#4 cmjrff

cmjrff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

It's the Saddle plate with the 2 screws that attach to the ota rings, and the 2 sets of 2 screws that are used for adjustment when aligning the ota to the r/a axis.  I think I have that right.  I ordered a replacement from here:
http://www.amazon.co...9&creative=9325

Anyone have any improvements to the manual's how-to do the ota alignment?  Many thanks.

#5 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

That should work fine.I replaced mine on the SN10 awhile back.

As far as the OTA alignment using the 2 sets of 2 screws you need to be careful as the aluminum is very soft and it is easy to strip the threads, which you already know.

I messed with it on my scope and found that it did not make a significant difference. Without any adjustment all the GOTO objects were always in the field of the finder scope.

Brent

#6 cmjrff

cmjrff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Brent.  What about when it comes to tracking for photography reasons?  Is it important to have the ota aligned to the r/a axis for that to work?  Thanks for the help.
Charles

#7 DSOMAN

DSOMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

I assume you will be have a separate guide scope, camera and a tracking program like PHD in which case a misalignment with the RA axis will not make a difference. If you find that your alignment stars are way off [not in the finder scope] and the GOTO objects are not close then you might want to tweak the RA axis alignment but normally I have not found it to be needed. When I had my SN10 mounted on the LXD75 I always got good GOTO's.

More critical to good GOTO's is proper pre-alignment of the scope in DEC & RA prior to starting the 3 star alignment process before an imaging session.

Also it will be important to do a reasonable drift align before each imaging session if you don't have a permanent setup to take some of the burden off the guiding program.

Brent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users