6 replies to this topic

#1 cozmicray

cozmicray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

If an LS8 is about to crunch a long prism or focuser in elevation --
What is the instant stop procedure -- other than turning the big switch OFF.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

An interesting question.

At this point, I would say flipping the whole scope off is the one solution.

Let me do some checking.  I do not know how long it will take.

Bill Steen

#3 tmohr36

tmohr36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNorth Las Vegas

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

I'm not sure where Bill had to go to find the answer, but in my experience, the Back button should stop the drive cold as well. This will also preserve the alignment whereas flipping the switch will give cause for a realignment.

Your best bet is to do a little experiment. Try this: Send the telescope goto to a known object that is close to the horizon, during its slewing travel, press the Back button and see if the telescope stops.

Here's another option that I just found from reading the LS Manual. On page 8: "During most telescope operations, pressing the “MODE” key will stop the current
operation."

Hope this helps. Maybe Bill will return shortly and confirm this.

Tom Mohr

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2077 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

I have not heard anything back.  You have probably answered the question.  I am away from home right now and do not have access to my LS to try anything.  If someone tries this, please post your results.

Thanks,

Bill Steen

#5 tmohr36

tmohr36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Thanks Bill, I figured that you were away, so I commented as best I could for now. I am also away from my LS at the moment. I return home tomorrow, so I'll give my suggestion a try....should work though! Thanks for all your help here and may your Holidays be Merry!

Tom Mohr

#6 tmohr36

tmohr36

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

So I arrived home last evening after 75 days away. Whew, was nice to sleep in my own bed again. Anyway, this morning, I did a mock 1 Star Alt/Az alignment in the living room using my trusty cell phone and SkEye app. Align was successful enough. Sent the telescope to several objects and this is what I found:  Aside from the slew buttons or the Goto button; All other button inputs will stop the slewing process cold (well, half sec or less delay). Hopefully this will help you as well.

I wish I had checked on this sooner. Last year shortly after getting the telescope, I had a Point & Shoot adapter attached and had an incident where the adapter contacted the base as the telescope slewed toward Zenith. Flipping the switch off was the fastest thing I could do. At least now I know, any button will stop the slewing motion.

Cheers everyone, Happy Holidays,

Tom Mohr

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2077 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Thanks, Tom!

That is good information.

I got home myself yesterday, but have not had a chance to check out my LS8.

Many "honey-do" items, just before Christmas.

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users