65 replies to this topic

#1 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Has anyone heard when the LX600 scopes will begin shipping? I've been told I am #1 on the list at OPT for the 12-incher but no one seems to know if the scopes will begin shipping in a few weeks or a few months.

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know if the OTA on the 12-inch LX600 is the same length (dimensions, not focal length) as on the 12-inch LX200 series? The focal length is substantially shorter, so I'm wondering if that equates to a physically shorter tube.

Thanks
  • healenrerculp, xxxfiles, TeettyWalavax and 7 others like this

#2 Meade

Meade

Meade Instruments

• Administrators
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

We hope to start shipping LX600s in a month or so. As far as the OTA dimensions I beleive they are physically shorther

#3 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Has there been any updates to approx ship dates?

#4 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

I was just told by OPT that it will be 8 more weeks before the LX600 scopes start shipping. So I guess when Meade said they expected to start shipping the LX600 near the end of May, they actually meant the beginning of September. Hopefully, the LX600 won't have the same problems that have led to a recall of all LX800 telescopes.

#5 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

I've had mine ordered since mid May & look for updates regularly. This is the first I've heard of anyone getting any info. I ordered mine via telescopes.com & am first in line there. Good to get some sort of info. I'm in Louisiana and Sept's okay with me because it's much more hospitable outside for stargazing then. Still very anxious tho BUT would rather receive a good product than a buggy one, so Meade, take your time!

#6 Dr.Oxygen

Dr.Oxygen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

I ordered my LX600 on May 1st. I've been tempted to find another scope but as I get older the gymnastics necessary with a GEM mount is getting harder and harder. I'm looking at the LX600 as a compromise that will provide a solid asltrophotograpy rig without the contortions necessary with a GEM. Another bonus is no Meridian flip. So, I'll be patient and check every day for a glimmer of news. I agree with Caryhavoc that I want a system the is relativley bug free so I remain patient. If Meade can pull this off and I'm betting they can, it will be worth the wait.

#7 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

If you are getting the scope with a wedge, ther will stil be contortions requirtred for polar alignment. At certainm times of the year, the orientationm of the scope (when pointing at polaris in the first part of the alignment) is upside-down, with the eyepiece between the fork and mount -- with my LX200, the space is really tight -- it looks like the spaceing on the LX600 is a little bigger. The finderscope can also be in an inconvienient place as well.
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#8 Dr.Oxygen

Dr.Oxygen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

gspie, Your correct in that during polar alignment there are definite challenges with a folk mount, although once aligned things do get easier. I'm betting that the Starlock will make the process a bit easier. Hence that's why I'm dying to read the manual. I tell myself "Patience young Jedi".

#9 Sunset Observatory

Sunset Observatory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

I was told by OPT that I was # 1 on the list to receive the LX 600 14". This was 2 months ago. Is there any scheduled release date from Meade for this scope, X wedge, and focal reducer.

#10 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

I was just informed, due to an, early billing error attempt, by my account rep @ telescopes.com that their procurement team expects to begin shipping the LX600 on Sept.2nd. I don't have any idea how solid this is. Just thought I'd share this little glimmer. Cheers!

#11 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOppegård, Norway

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Thanks!
Any information is good information, at this point..

#12 ShinySteelRobot

ShinySteelRobot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

It's almost September. Anyone know whether these will ship soon?

#13 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

I see on most sites they're still predicting another month. I'm trying very hard to hold on. Very curious why there's no update tho.

#14 glaceda

glaceda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

I E-Mailed Meade about the status of the LX600 for shipment. All I got was an answer that I would hear when they were ready to ship my LX600 12". Nothing more than that. I hoped that they would give some kind of estimate. But no information!!!

#15 Dr.Oxygen

Dr.Oxygen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

I must say that Meade stepped up and recalled the LX800 mounts and I had no problem with that. They had some issues and stepped up to the plate to make things right. Unfortunately that's were it ended. Since the recall they have been silent. I don't mind waiting for my LX600 but it's been three months and no word. I'm willing to wait but need a glimmer of hope. No update on the LX800, no update on LX600. I've been willing to wait up to this point, having ordered my LX600 on May 1st, but my patience is growing thin. Any information would give me hope but at this point I've been seriously thinking about jumping ship and looking elsewhere. The lack of information is distressing and has me thinking. Meade has invested a lot of money on their new product lines and I'm starting to think the company is struggling. I certainly don't want to invest in a high tech scope that will not have not support in the future. Meade, you did things right by recalling your mounts with issues. Don't drop the ball by leaving all your customers in the dark for so long.

#16 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for voicing what we're all thinking/feeling. Honestly, the only reason I've been so patient is because of the West Nile Virus issue where I live. They don't anticipate complete safety until mid-end Oct. so, I'm holding out. I absolutely am upset as to the lack of ANY info since May. This is not only ridiculous but stupid in my opinion. I have the money for an LX600, 10" w wedge not only set aside but have already purchased the lense kit & accessories for it. Like they say in poker, I'm pot stuck and am not happy about it. They could communicate something at very least. I'm very tired of absolutely no info. I check every day as do others. Even the forums have grown quiet. There aren't any positive comments. I'd fire the PR folks and get someone(s) that would keep their base customers thinking positive. Common Meade, let's get with the program!!!!!!!!

#17 quattroman

quattroman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOppegård, Norway

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Information and communication with customers is crucial during delayed production problems. Early production problems may occur now and then; but it's always important to have an open communication about problems and progress. If, in reality, it will be another 2 or 3 months before all problems are solved, it's better to just say it, since we all, in the end, will get to know anyway.
I'm ready to order a 12" LX600, but not before I get confirmation of a working product and shipping dates.

I hope Meade manage to work successfully through any production and financial problems they might have.
I'm looking forward to a great scope..
The best of luck to you!

#18 Cryhavoc

Cryhavoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Still no word. I have two friends that stopped waiting & withdrew their orders for a pair of 12" LX600's. I've only got a 10" on order. They bought Celestron instead. I just hope they'll be jealous of my decision to wait. I live in Southeast US & prime viewing season is almost upon us & I still don't have a scope. All area clubs have listed their get together dates & I can't plan to attend any of them. I've had my order in since announced in May. Can you say frustrating? LOUDLY?

#19 croessus

croessus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Keep in mind that It took about 7 months from the announcement of the lx800 to the announcement of shipping. If Meade follows a similar timeline then 7 months from the announcement of the lx600 would place shipment around end of November. I'm estimating this based on the announcement dates listed under this forum.

#20 FrankM

FrankM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

Then someone should tell Meade about the 7-month timeline. They initially stated the LX600s should start shipping by the end of May. I'm the one who started this thread and, at this point, I'm VERY close to cancelling my order since what I consider to be prime viewing season for my elevation is almost over. Meade has totally ignored everyone's requests for any type of update. That fact (and the LX800 recall) leads me to believe that there are unexpected problems with the LX600...further reason to cancel my order and wait to re-order until well after release when all the bugs may be worked out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lx600

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users