5 replies to this topic

#1 Deano

Deano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi there,

having received a new LT ACF 8" Telescope for my birthday I am now looking for any help or advice to improve my knowledge.

I looked up my type of instrument and found there were no posts, so looking to get the conversation started.

Looking forward to making some new friends....

Dean
  • Bluheneni likes this

#2 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

I would try to find a local astronomy club. There is likely to be quite a few members with experience with different types of equipment.

The NASA Night Sky Network is a pretty good staring point.
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#3 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Oh, one more thing -- happy birthday!
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#4 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 2041 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

Best think to do is start out by reading the instruction manual.then go from there.
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

#5 AtTheEyepiece

AtTheEyepiece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

Install the autostar suite and LT drivers on your computer. Download a free program called Stellarium so you can become familiar with the night sky, and get a USB cable so that eventually, if you have a laptop, you can connect the LT to the laptop and use Stellarum to control the LT, which is a lot of fun. Become familiar with the AutoStar controller by reading up on the manual.

Take the scope out and give it a whirl, ensuring that the scope is as level as possible. First, align the red dot finder to the scope itself by find a distant light or something terrestrial. Then go through the process of the LT's alignment.

Once you have a good alignment, select something like Mars or Saturn (bright right now). GoTo those. Now you may not have them centered, don't worry. Manually center those with the controller, then ensuring its center of your eyepiece, hit the Enter Key on the Controller, and hit it again. This Sync's to the objects, and vastly improves the GoTos. I do this on my LS for the first 3-4 objects.

Go through Tonights Best Tours, a great place to start. If you observe from suburbs or city, I would stick with the brighter objects like open clusters and globular clusters.

Happy Birthday, and enjoy the new LT.

John Kramer

This is just for starters.

#6 dewo

dewo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hey Dean, I just got an LT6 ACF myself so I'm about to start the journey too :) Haven't had a clear night yet though!

My red dot finder is pretty loose and wobbly, meaning I'll need to adjust it all the time (just a little tap changes it's direction). Seems pretty useless. The base of it is solid, it's just the top part that seems loose, and there is no way to tighten it. Is yours like that too?

Cheers,
Dean (yep, same name)

Hi there,

having received a new LT ACF 8" Telescope for my birthday I am now looking for any help or advice to improve my knowledge.

I looked up my type of instrument and found there were no posts, so looking to get the conversation started.

Looking forward to making some new friends....

Dean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users