#1 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

When I try to align my 10" LX800, after centering Polaris using mount controls, it starts a slew to Arcturus, BUT it slews backwards. And the slew cannot be stopped - had to hit the power switch, but by the time I was able to reach it (the scope slewed so that the StarLock base passsed our the control panel and severed the StarLock cable -- sheared it right off.

Why would it do that? Why does it slew so close to the control panel that cables can be sheared off?
I tried again, and when it was 'finding home' it slewed so far in RA that the OTA almost hit the tripod -- I was rable to hit the power switch just in time to prevent the destruction of the OTA.

I reset the hand controller -- didn't make a difference - every attempt at an alignment had the scop slew in the wrong direction. The GPS appears to be working - it did identify my location as being near Concord Ca, but it keeps on slewing inicorrectly. This happened once before, but a reset of the controller fixed it -- but not this time.

I appear to have a 150 pound, $8000 anchor!!!

Can this be forwarded to someone at Meade that may have some idea about what has gone wrong? I am quite p'd off right now...
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#2 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

Not good to hear. :(

Do you know which firmware is on the Starlock? Was it 1.1g or an earlier firmware?

Just thought it might be related to http://www.meade4m.c...irmware-update/

Hope you can get it resolved quickly.
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

#3 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

Yes I know about the firmware update -- that has nothing to do with this issue. I have the old firmware and have been waiting 3 weeks for a replacement unit.

Even if I did want to try to update the firmware, the USB cable that is necessary for this operation was not included in the boxes I received with the scope and mount. I've been waiting 3 weeks for that too.
When I went through this last night I had turned StarLock off because I knew it wasn't working.

This is either a faulty AutoStar II or faulty LX800 mount head. I can't update AutopStar either -- No cable...
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

#4 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

Ow.

Think I'm going to check that the scope I have coming to me either has those cables with it. If not, I'll update my order so I have them on hand.

Sorry to hear of the troubles you're going through. No fun at all.

BTW: I think the dealer I am going through is trying to hold off on shipment a bit so that any issues are resolved before it gets sent to me. Australia is a long way to do warranty returns. I am however getting a bit annoyed at the lack of updates from them.
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

#5 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

Update...
I have been working with one of Meade's tech support guys. Now that the StarLock is completely out of the picture, and I performed another reset of the hand controller, alignment appears to be working properly.

I'll be getting a replacement StarLock and the cable that was sheared off some time next week.

Yes, there are some problems, but the Meade team appears to be making an honest effort to correct the issues.

I guess I'm just a cockeyed optimist (you have to be to be an 'early adapter'. This is truly the bleeding edge.
  • tmohr36 likes this

#6 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

Update -- I have the new StarLock with the latest firmware, and it now guides quite well. I gave it a whirl last night, and the only issue was some high humidity that bloated the stars a bit. I have that image posted in the LX800 gallery.

On the other issues, it appears to be an issue with the hand controller, and a new one is on the way.

#7 Cefiar

Cefiar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Great to hear. Hopefully all of the LX800 issues are now sorted, which will hopefully mean that my supplier will push for their shipment (Australia). I just hope that it doesn't cost me any more than the original amount they quoted me (which was the pre-order price).

Not very happy about it being delayed, but given the distances involved (for returning it or getting spare bits), it makes some sense.
--
Cefiar
Melbourne, Australia

#8 crofford

crofford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, AZ

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

LX800-14.....I'm having slew and alignment issues as well. I've upgraded the star lock firmware and it seems to have fixed the tracking problem, but alignment is a problem and slewing occasionally tries to go wild and I've had to quickly power down. If I do the default easy alignment, once I goto anything after polaris, it's off by quite a bit. I've also done the one and two star alignment.

#9 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

When I started to have that problem, a restart of the hand controller seemed to correct it.
I'm also wondering if connection to PC via RS232 cable has anything to do with it. The last time I tried with it connected, I got some weird results.
I also was thinking that the cables going across the GPS receiver may have had an effect -- haven't prooved that one out yet, but I now route my wires below the controller base and will try connected to PC via RS232 again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users