#1 Meade

Meade

Meade Instruments

• Administrators
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Affected Models – All LX800 with StarLock

Dear Valued LX800 Customers,

As a result of initial customer feedback of the LX800, which prompted further, extensive, testing, we
have identified a number of areas that should be changed in order to achieve the specified
performance criteria we have set for the product. Although initially we believed this could be
accomplished with only firmware updates to the LX800 mount and StarLock, we now believe
mechanical changes should also be implemented in addition to the firmware updates.

If you own a Meade LX800, please contact customer service at 800-626-3233 to set-up a return
authorization. Meade will issue call tags to collect your product, we will implement all of the
prescribed changes and return the product to you at no charge.

These changes are deemed critical to the performance of the product and rather than have customers
struggle through this with less than optimal results, we believe a proactive approach is the best
course of action. The rework itself is expected to take only a few weeks.

The changes will include several mechanical adjustments, new StarLock and LX800 firmware, a
new one piece saddle plate, and for customers of ACF optical tubes, a piggy-back bracket to allow
for an additional mounting location for StarLock on top of the optical tube.

We humbly apologize for the difficulty these issues have caused, but feel that this course of action is
the right thing to do. The LX800 is a fantastic system and we believe our customers will agree once
they get a chance to use the system.

-----------------------------------------

Here is a rough list of the items you should return.

However, you should check with to see exactly what you need to return when you call our Customer Support line at (800) 626-3233

What to Return:

1. Mount Box: Mount head and saddle, StarLock with cable, control box, AutoStar II hand box.

2. ACF OTA Box: Includes OTA with shipping bolt installed, dovetail rail.

Call tags will be issued for the Mount Box and OTA box.

Again, please make sure to call our Customer Support line at (800) 626-3233 for more details.

-----------------------------------------

Sincerely,

Meade Instruments
  • skiliaBam and soartyMayon like this

#2 Meade

Meade

Meade Instruments

• Administrators
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

I've updated the above post with a rough list of items that should be returned. You should be sure to contact our Customer Support line at (800) 626-3233 and double check with them on what you need to return.

#3 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

I see that you are adding a mount plate atop the OTA for StarLock. What changes are being made to the mount?
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#4 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

Any update on when we can expect to get our scopes/mounts back?
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

#5 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

I don't think Meade will answer this as they have no idea themselves. I believe they fix one thing only to discover they broke another.

#6 tlwarnke

tlwarnke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

This is getting to be and epic failure on Meade's part. Recall announced on June 11th and nearly 4 months later no news on when people will be getting their devices back. What other consumer industry would survive if they treated their customers like this? NONE. Sure glad I canceled my order for the LX600.

#7 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Well, today marks the 1-year anniversary of my order placement for my now incarcerated 10" LX800. I guess I may have to go to the Governer for a reprieve :<(

#8 ahopp

ahopp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

I too am waiting to get my 14" LX800 back. I am going to remain excited, in hopes that what I get back is spot on.

Tony
60mm Focal (First Telescope)
Orion MiniGiant 9x63
Mallincam Xtreme EXview HAD
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L
Canon 24-105mm f/4L

#9 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Amen

#10 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Any word yet on when we'll see our recalled purchases?

#11 gazergreg

gazergreg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLeesburg, VA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

We are now approaching 6 months since this LX800 recall and I still have no notification of product return from Meade. This has gone from sad to rediculous.

Has anyone heard anything recently?

#12 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Absolutely nothing. I called last week, and they still could not tell me anything! I keep hearing that they are tweeking the guider software and updating StarLock utility. I'm of a mind now where I am almost willing to take what they have (hardware fixes appear to be completed) and await final tweeking code as later delivery.
My scope has been in there hands since early March!

#13 CleverNight

CleverNight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Meade, care to chime in on this? What's going on?
Meade LX200GPS 14" & ACF 10"
Explore Scientific AR152, CF127 APO, 102mm APO & 80mm APO
Meade DS2130AT - Grab 'n Go
Celestron C8, Meade SN6
Starlight Xpress H-18, QHY10, Atik 460EX, 450C
Canon XSi &T2i & Orion Starshoot Imager V.2
Orion SSS III, DSI I and LPI Imagers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users