#1 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationShelton, Washington

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:21 AM

While new to this community (not necessarily new to astrophotography), I am about to step into the "big boys" so to speak. I am set to purchase a telescope off of Craigslist soon, the Meade LX200.

It's the 10-inch SCT model that is in mint condition per the seller's description and has only been used less than five times in the field. He purchased it in 1999.

The only telescopes I've had experience with are the Meade ETX-series telescopes (specifically, the ETX 70AT, ETX80-AT-TC and the ETX-90EC.

What are the differences between the control handbox of an older LX200 vs. the ETX with the Autostar 494/497 handbox (my ETX-90EC has the 497 handbox), and are they similar to use?

Also, what would be a good way to begin astrophotography with this? I have the 45-degree erecting prism plus a Zhumell Optics T-mount (for which I recently grabbed excellent photos of Venus' transit with my recently-sold ETX-80). I am seriously considering the Meade #64 T-adapter for straight-through operation. I am looking for serious input on this as I am eagerly looking forward to trying this telescope out. I have a Nikon D5100 DSLR and for now would prefer to shoot natural light deep-sky imaging.

Any input is appreciated.

#2 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

I have a classic 8", and recently an LX800 w/AutoStar. The Hand controllers have some similarities. Some of the big differences:
1) Classic controller is not upgradable - you get what you have!
2) To find solar System objects, you beef to know its' number (900-909) - numbers are found in the manual.
3) Classic controller is physically larger.
4) Classic controller buttons are flat mounted, and not backlit. I put little clear plastic rubberized bumpers over the N,S,E, and W slew buttons so that I can operate by feel at night.

Once you get used to it, it is still easy to use to control the scope.

Regarding astrophotography, you'll need to mount on an equatorial wedge, or get a field de-rotator to compensate for earth's rotation. I personally think the wedge is the way to go.

I hope you have the manual for the scope so you can learn how to do a polar alignment, very important for astrophotography. I believe the manual for the Classic LX200's is still on the Meade website.
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#3 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Thank you!

I'm eagerly awaiting Saturday so I can go up to look at it. I may very well make my own wedge for it seeing as how I can buy the materials for cheap.

I downloaded the LX200 Classic manual off of Meade's website a few days ago and I've been studying it pretty close.

#4 gspie

gspie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationScottsdale, Arizona

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

So, how did it go?
LX850 with 10" ACF OTA and Takahashi FS 60C OTA -- SBIG STT-8300M CCD with FW8G-STT Self Guiding Filter Wheel and SBIG AO-8 Adaptive Optics -- Camera Control and Image Calibration with Maxim DL/CCD Pro, Image processing with PixInsight, and final composition with Photoshop CS5

http://home.comcast....ie/astroweb.htm

#5 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

I ended up not buying the scope because the seller was very iffy in dealing with me via e-mail. I ended up finding a 14-inch LX200 Classic that I was going to buy instead, but the seller sold it on me before I arrived (was a 4.5 hour drive to buy it that ended up being a drive for nothing)...

The LX200 was off of Craigslist for a week and a half and I discovered a seller with a mint-condition LX3/2080 8-inch. Bought it instead.

Although now, I wish I had an extra $1500 because that LX200 has showed up no less than six times on the Seattle CL since then and I wish I had it...

#6 MrCraigar

MrCraigar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

Hi Steve,
I pretty sure I bought the 10". Was the seller’s name Adam? Funny thing, I was searching for a manual and came across this thread. I recognized the words from the craigslist ad you posted and knew it was the one I bought.

Unfortunately for me I bought on impulse and have to sell it to get the money back. Are you still interested?

#7 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:29 AM

Hi Steve,
I pretty sure I bought the 10". Was the seller’s name Adam? Funny thing, I was searching for a manual and came across this thread. I recognized the words from the craigslist ad you posted and knew it was the one I bought.

Unfortunately for me I bought on impulse and have to sell it to get the money back. Are you still interested?

Yes, and yes.

PM me or e-mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users