• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 garyinsanantonio

garyinsanantonio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

I just got an LX200 8-inch with GPS and autostar. I seem to have problems with the two star alignment. I think I have followed the procedure correctly, but after alignment, the scope seems to point 5-10 degrees away from an object I recognize, such as the moon or Mars. Is the alignment process particularly sensitive to getting the alignment stars precisely centered?

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1957 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Yes, you need to center the alignment stars to the best of your ability. The GPS part nails down your location, but not where level and North are. Try to make sure the tripod top and mount base are as level as you can get them. If the LX-200 works like the scopes I have used, then getting the scope itself level and pointing as directly toward the North as you can helps the situation. When the scope goes to a guide star, be sure you use the arrow keys to center it in the middle of your eyepiece field, then push the enter button. The scope will go to the next star and you repeat the process.

There should also be some drive training excersizes you need to go through for both altitude and azumuth drives to make sure they are spot on. That is the only way the scope will know how much slack there is in the gearing. There has to be some slack or the gears will wear out faster. The amount of it varies with the scope and over time. I try to do the procedure with my scopes maybe every six months or so.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

#3 garyinsanantonio

garyinsanantonio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Thanks. I did the training exercise but have not had a chance to test the scope due to cloudy skies. I will try your suggestions when the skies clear.

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1957 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

It is interesting how clouds show up when you get a new scope. Probably the best way to break a drought ever!

#5 Mark Sibole

Mark Sibole

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1999 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

Make sure your scope is level!
If in ALT AZ mode make sure you start off in the home position.
NOw on the 2 star alignment there is and has been a problem for as long as I can remember on gotos on planets and the moon.
The gotos on DSO objects are spot on but for some reason they are 5 to 10 degrees off.
A goto will get you close on planets you will just need to center them with the hand paddle.
For DSO objects you should be spot on.
Also make sure you have trained and calibrated motors also.
REgards

Mark
Mark Sibole
MTSO Observatory
Fife Lake, Mi.

http://astronomy.qteaser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users