• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maryengel

maryengel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

I've recently gotten a 114EQASTR and a couple of simple (I hope) questions. contacted Meade website, get no response so I am reachin out. Now that I have an eyepiece that fits...everything appears upside down. ideas greatly appreciated.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1958 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hello maryengel,

Welcome to astronomy. An astronomical telescope, such as the 114EQASTR will look upside down. In fact, it is upside down and backwards, or putting it another way, the image is rotated 180 degrees. With a refractor telescope and no diagonal mirror, you would get the same thing. With a diagonal in place, the image would be right side up, but backwards.

With something like binoculars, there is a special prism in it that switches things around to make it right side up and oriented left and right correctly.

What you are seeing is the way it is supposed to look.

If you want to, there is a section down the menu for beginners. Most of the questions in it so far are for refractors, but there are some for general astronomy. Either place, general discussion, or the beginners' section is good for you questions.

Hope this helps!

Bill Steen

#3 AstralStroll

AstralStroll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth West of England

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hi MaryEngel,

It takes a bit of getting used to, but as Bill says above, this is the way that the majority of telescope eyeieces work. My old celestron 114EQ came with an "erecting" eyepiece, which gave a view that you would see with a pair of binoculars (ie the way round you would intuitively expect). There are a lot of downsides to these eyepieces, but it does mean that you just see a magnified view with no upside down, back to front images to get your head around.

Dave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users