Photo

Meade Series 5000 five-element Super Plossl kit - Questions!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steve.rosenow

steve.rosenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationShelton, Washington

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

Hey folks, I recently purchased a Meade Series 5000 Super Plossl eyepiece set which came with a carry case.

However, I believe three eyepieces may be missing.

In the carry case are slots for four 1.25" eyepieces and three 2" eyepieces.

In the 1.25 eyepiece slots I have the following:

Meade Series 5000 Five-Element 20mm

Meade Series 5000 Five-Element 14mm

Meade Series 5000 Five-Element 5.5mm

Is there supposed to be one in the other "empty" spot, or is this the way Meade sells them?

In the 2" eyepiece part of the kit, there are three spots. I only have one eyepiece, which is the Meade Series 5000 Five-Element 32mm.

What is supposed to go in the other two? And if this is an incomplete kit, would Meade supply the missing eyepieces? Or is this the way this kit came?

For reference, it is Meade 07673.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I looked this up on one of the on-line stores, read the description, and looked at the picture. What you have is what is supposed to come with the set.
The picture I saw is exactly what you described.

The small empty slot is for a 9mm eyepiece, the slot to the right of your 32mm is for a 26mm eyepiece that might come with a top line scope. The slot on the left is for a 40mm two inch eyepiece that, I think, is not longer made.

Going from the 32mm to 20mm, then to 14mm are normal progressions that I think are good. This is basically the sequence I use with Meade 4000 series plossles. Where I differ from the eyepieces you have is that I then use a 9mm and generally stop there.

You might want to consider getting the 9mm. It is a good step down from the 14mm. Dropping to the 5.5 from 14 is too far, in my opinion.

The 26mm is a beautiful eyepiece. But, you really do not need it if you do not mind switching from 2 inch to the 1 1/4 inch format by putting the adapter, that comes with your 2 inch focuser, in and out.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users