8 replies to this topic

#1 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hello MstBdgr, Long story short, I have cobbled together a drive mount with some peices I bought for parts. Everything appeared to be working
fine, but then I got the 'Motor Failure' message, along with 'Under Construction' message. The Declination motor is what I am having a problem with. If you hold the Up or Down button down continously, it will raise or lower, but it Stops. Then you Hit the button again and it works. I have tried
the RESET option, but that did not work. Only other consideration is the Moving of the HandBox. This thing is ready to Roll except for the
Motor Failure (but they work) and Under Construction. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1825 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hi Burt!

I do not have any clues about the "Under Construction" message. When you talk about declination, are you talking about altitude or are you trying to make an equitorial mount out of it? If you are trying to set up for equitorial, I do not think the DS mount programming is set up for that.

Have you calibrated the motors with the handset? I may be getting the term wrong. There is a procedure in the handset where the scope moves the mount around to figure out what normal amps are with the particular scope you have mounted on it. I have had a scope stop and tell me that I had a different scope on the mount (I really did have a different scope on it..I switched from a 2090 refractor to a 2114 reflector). Then it told me to calibrate the drives.

Other than this, I would recommend that you call customer support and see what they have to say.

Hope this helps,

Bill

#3 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

I don't think I have actually fixed anything, but I did get my DS-2114 to work. It is the Alt;AZ setup. Ihave a 3rd motor mount. I took my handbox to that motor mount, RESET, re-entered all the info. I then took that hand box to mthe scope I am using hooked it up and turned it on. I did somehow reach the RESET option, and repeated that. Everything has been working perfectly since I did those procedures. And actually, at this point (knock on wood) the accuracy of the GOTO feature of this scope has been absolutely SPOT ON!!
Dead Center in the finder scope, and the scope itself. That is how I know I have actually seen Neptune, and Uranus, without doubt. I was never sure if I was actually looking at Neptune, or Uranus because of how far off I might be on targeting. NO Doubt about it now.
  • ltipto1 likes this

#4 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Well, So much for that last post. Was working fine, now it has grown a mind of its' own. Going to go through the above process again, and see what happens. There is a little
slack in the Altitude axis from my repair job. "Could that bit of slack be fooling the motor sensor in some way?" Making it jump at random times? I mean, this thing just takes off
for a second or two, then quits. All on its' own. Thanks MstrBdgr, or anyone.

#5 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'm back at it MistrBadgr. I have done some work on one of my mounts, and everything is turning freely. I connected a new handbox, and earlier in the day when I set
everything up all was working well. Now that it is dark I can't get anything but the above message. Motor Failure/ Under Construction. I cannot do a thing without that
message popping up. Can't even RESET. Goes to that message regardless of what button I push. I have tried 'ALL' my handboxes. hehe Any ideas anyone? Can you
REBOOT something? Ctrl;Alt;Del; something? hehe Thanks.

#6 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

I was so excited this afternoon, now it is just MOTOR FAULT after MOTOR FAULT after MOTOR FAULT. I do not have a clue as what to do. I want to REBOOT so bad. hehe

#7 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

An idea. Since I have 110AC power dropped down to 12V DC, and these messages mention something about batteries, I assume that is the overall battery supply power. Not
the little coin shaped lithium battery. Could that be a potential suspect? Thanks.

#8 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1825 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yes, it could be. You might check the voltage coming out of the power supply and see what it actually is. Possibly there is a short in the coils and it could be putting out less voltage. Also, seems like there is a place for some kind of motor check, but I cannot remember what it is called. It just runs each motor a bit and checks the voltage it requires.

#9 BABFB

BABFB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

That checking the output voltage is a stroke of genius MistrBdgr. (Smacking the hand palm on the forehead) Duh,,,Damn. I think I will do that. Thanks MistrBadgr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users