7 replies to this topic

#1 fjhdavid

fjhdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi,

I bought a LS-6, downloaded the last LS firmware (1.6a) and installed Ascom platform 6 SP1 (the last one). I also changed the RTS and DTR as it should be, in order to allow communication between the scope and the PC.

As of today, neither the two ascom drivers (LX200/autostar I, and Autostar II) are working. It is really a pitty that Autostar III is not Ascom compliant (I read on many places that the scope doesn't answer correctly to the two ascom drivers (except for the third one named "generic LX200" but with very very limited functions)).

My question is:

- does a new LS firmware is planned (the last one is almost 2 years old) in order to be Ascom compliant?

thanks
Francois

PS: I read on the forum that the LS could work with an Autostar II, but then (if I am correct), you loose the auto-align procedure (which was the reason I choose the LS instead an another scope)?

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1825 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hello Francois,

If there are any such plans, I suspect they are on the back burner right now, with all the work going on with the LX-80 and LX-800 scopes.

I have been able to make my LS-8 work with the software that is part of AutoStar, software with no problems. However, I normally control mine from the handset. I did have to work around the device numbers. Seems like the device number on the LS is way off the beaten track in terms of the number itself. I do not remember the number now and the little net book I was using got a virus and the hard drive had to be wiped.

Maybe, as some point, we will be surprised and a new version of the AutoStar III software will come out with ascom capabilities.

Bill Steen

#3 Marco

Marco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

Hello Francois,

If there are any such plans, I suspect they are on the back burner right now, with all the work going on with the LX-80 and LX-800 scopes.

I have been able to make my LS-8 work with the software that is part of AutoStar, software with no problems. However, I normally control mine from the handset. I did have to work around the device numbers. Seems like the device number on the LS is way off the beaten track in terms of the number itself. I do not remember the number now and the little net book I was using got a virus and the hard drive had to be wiped.

Maybe, as some point, we will be surprised and a new version of the AutoStar III software will come out with ascom capabilities.

Bill Steen

Hello Bill,

do you know if there have been some changes in the Ascom/Autostar III story?

I'm also stuck with this problem as mentioned in an other posting of mine...

any works around?

Best regards

Marco

LS6" Meade microfocuser zero image shift TS 2" dielectric diagonal Hyperion 2" 72° 36mm  TS 2" 70° 22mm TS 2" Barlow

Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 9mm, Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 4mm, Antares 6.3 focal reducer

Camera Olympus ZX1 connected aphocaly

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1825 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Hello Marco,

I have not heard of any planned improvements to the Autostar III system.  However, I am confident there is a "To Do" list.  There have been enough requests over time that I am sure an Ascom driver is on the list for at least consideration.  Other than using Meade software to drive the LS system externally, I do not know of any other application.  However, I am a visual observer and do not really try to do anything other than simply use the handset on my LS 8.  As I get older and cold weather affects me more, the thought of having a scope set up outside and running it from the comfort of my easy chair is becoming a better and better option.

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

#5 Marco

Marco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the reply, yea as the time pass the comfort of the easy chair is becoming more and more attractive....

I like to do AP as well,and this is way I'm looking for a solution of this problem.

Well hopefully the meade to do list will get worked out, since by searching the web it is about 5 years that people are asking this....

By the way, the Stellarium software is working with the LS 6 but this software do not use the ascom drivers but an other plug in.

The problem I'm having now is specifically with the APT software.

Best regards

Marco

LS6" Meade microfocuser zero image shift TS 2" dielectric diagonal Hyperion 2" 72° 36mm  TS 2" 70° 22mm TS 2" Barlow

Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 9mm, Omegron Cronus 1,25" 68° 4mm, Antares 6.3 focal reducer

#6 Marco

Marco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi Bill,

A little update of this driver problem can be found in the link here below.

https://groups.yahoo...ns/topics/31355

The problem is actually that my Meade LS6 new purchased 2 month back was supplied with drivers that are more than 10 years old, not compatible with any other modern software. And barely compatible with own meade software.

This I fund really the bottom of customer support! looks like, all that Meade care about is just the sale the product for a lot of money, and who cares about the customers, really bad bad policy i find..

I have tried to contact meade europe  to complain about this lack of product support and to ask for a fix but without success.

Do you have any contact at Meade with somebody who is actually interested in product support and that could help?

if yes can you please forward this message to him.

Thanks and best regards

Marco

Best regards

Marco

#7 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1825 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

Hi Marco,

I passed on information to someone a while back. That was when I found out that they were working on a driver for the LX 850.  I will inquire again for any news.

Bill

#8 Marco

Marco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Thanks for the help Bill!

much appreciated.

regards

Marco

Best regards

Marco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users