16 replies to this topic

#1 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

Hi

The other night I was using my autostar to align my lxd 75 n6-at.

It went to the align star ( Capella ) and I tried using the right arrow key to align it in my eyepiece but my auto star reset.

The upon entering time/date , when I came to daylight savings and pressed no the auto star would turn off and restart again.

I gave up and brought it inside I reset it and I tried it again and this time I got Proc . trap 2 .

I restarted the auto star again and the R.A motor slewed what seemed to be the fastest speed and then when the DEC was about to hit the R.A motor I switched it off .

This continued for a day or so until It miraculously it stopped .

I pressed align and got motor unit failure.

Now this whole mount was bought about 1 month ago from a guy who said he only used it once or twice while his other mount was getting fixed as it had a crack in it .

On the night I was using mains 12v DC and when it started restarting I tried the battery pack and it wouldn’t power it .(But it did when I brought it inside )

Does this sound like a firmware issue with all these different errors .(I just updated to 43eg )
And by the way this was my first time using the austostar with this(NEW) mount outside but it worked fine inside.
NOTE : I had used this Autostar on my previous mount

Cheers for any help

Reece
  • carpinteyropqi, Freflefly, TeettyWalavax and 10 others like this

#2 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1966 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hi Reece,.

It sounds more like a temperature issue, maybe, or a voltage issue. I cannot see your mains giving you trouble, but I could see a power supply not giving you the right voltage. Batteries do not put out as much power when cold. Also, if you are using AA batteries in an eight pack, the batteries themselves are only putting out 1.25 volts each for a total of ten volts. With cold, they will put out less. The mount can run on ten volts, but it is built for twelve. You might also check the voltage coming out of your power supply in the environment you were viewing from, especially with the temperature, if you have a volt meter.

Check the mA output the power supply is rated for. If it is not one built for the scope, it may be too low. The one Meade sells is pretty heavy duty and puts out maybe 5 amps max and should work fine. If it is a different one than the Meade, I would expect that the power supply would really need to be in the 1000 mA range or higher at 12 volts.

Another issue could be the cable between the handset and the scope. I do not know how much you can clean on the connections, but a little wiping where you can cannot hurt.

If you have loaded up the 43 eg version of the software into the handset, that should not be a problem. I have not used it on an LXD mount, but my experience with it is that it is pretty bullet proof.

Anyone else have any ideas I have left out?

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

#3 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hi Bill

Thanks very much for the reply .

I am using D alkaline 1.5v batteries in the battery pack. The were given to me when i bought the scope second hand .They realy might need some replacing :/

I bought an OEM power supply off a guy who has the same scope as me .

Its 1000mA or on the plug it says 1.0a ( which i guess is amps) .

It was my first time using that power supply (outside) also .
It is also definitely 12V .

It could be the cable between the handset , it feels a bit twisted if you were to ask me .

Ill try measuring the volts out of the mains to see if I'm getting the right voltage .

Thanks

Reece

#4 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

Hi

I checked the voltage and the max I'm getting out of it is 8.5 volts .

Should I get a new power supply so ?

Thanks

#5 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Sorry for a misunderstanding but I was Measuring the voltage while the plug was connected to a extension lead with other plugs plugged in.

I plugged it into a wall socket and got 9 , 10 ,11 volts .

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1966 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

If you are getting at least ten volts, I would think that should be enough. It is on smaller scopes. However, that could be an issue. I would think a power supply that is supposed to be 12 volts, but puts out less that that to any significant degree has at least a little something wrong with it. It could be putting out even less voltage when it has the load of your mount on it.

If you can get some new D cell batteries, it might be worth a try. You could at least use them there to find out if the scope works and then use them in flash lights (read torch if you live in England) or other devices.

If the scope works on new batteries but does not on the power supply, you probably need a better one.

The ones Meade sells are a bit expensive compared to other lesser power supplies, just not greatly so. But, they are rated for lots of amps. (5000 mA I think) I have not had any trouble at all with the one I bought for my LS8, which uses at least twice the power of other comparable mounts, due to extra bells and whistles.

Bill Steen

#7 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hi Bill

I am in the process of uploading a video .

In the video WITHOUT my hand controller plugged in and with the power on and I just hit the DEC cable or maybe the power (It could be either that is triggering it ) the DEC would start moving on it's own .

Check back In around 30 minutes and I will have it uploaded .

I shall get new D batteries so in the mean time .

I will get back to

Thanks

Reece

#8 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Here it is

I think it is power related .

My batteries are on the way from amazon .

I will get back to you when i receive them .

Hopefully It will work .

Thanks again Bill

Reece

#9 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1966 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Wow! That is pretty wild.

#10 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:24 AM

It definitely is !!

#11 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hi Bill
The batteries did nothing unfortunately .

#12 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1966 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Reece,

Looking at the videos again, the only thing I can think of is a short somewhere, possibly in the other cable or in the sockets of the mount.

Let me check with someone and see if I can get them to look at the videos.

What happens if you unplug the other cord, if you can?

Is it only one motor that is doing this?

Bill Steen

#13 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hi Bill

I don't think it would be a problem wit the DEC cable itself as i plugged my other DEC motor ( from my spare mount with no R.A) and I still got motor unit failure .

So if it was a socket it would be the DEC socket or the HBX socket .

I don't know if it is still doing this .

I just showed you the video as I thought it may lead to a solution to my problem .

What happens if you unplug the other cord, if you can?
Which cord are you talking about
Is it only one motor that is doing this?
Yes it is only this motor as the R.A has motor unit fault .

I must say aswell that just after I got the proc trap 2 error I reset the handle controller a good few times .

Now every time i turn it on I am presented with " testing motors" and then "motor unit fault "

So i have no way of getting to the autostar menu without bypassing the "testing motors "

Thanks

Reece

#14 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1966 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have seen that when I switched scopes on a DS mount. It told me I had switched telescopes, retested and reset its fault settings, I think.

Looks like you do have a fault somewhere in the unit. Unless you are up on your electronics and have the right test equipment to trouble-shoot inside the unit, this thing needs to go to the shop for repairs. It may just be insulation on a wire that is rubbing a hole or any other of the possible scenarios.

Personally, I am out if ideas and resources. If you have a telescope store around, you might want to take it to them.

I am disappointed that there was not an easy fix.

Bill Steen

#15 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Okay :(

#16 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1966 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

If you would, when/if you do get it fixed, please let us know what the problem is so that other people can benefit in the future.

Sorry I could not help more!

Best Regards,

Bill Steen

#17 nanook5

nanook5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Ok no problem O0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users