Photo

Meade Series 5000 ED APO - Adjustment of Crayford focuser for draw tube misalign

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yu244720

yu244720

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:40 AM

Hi there,

this weekend I purchased second hand a Series 5000 ED APO in mint condition but when i arrived home to further check it out i noticed that the draw tube, although very close to being flush, was not in line with the back of the crayford focuser.

I didn't think much of it, but later checked to see if the optics were collimated with a 2" laser collimator. The collimator was tight and flush up against the back of the draw tube. When i checked to see where the laser point was, it was off centre. It initially alarmed me thinking briefly it was the optics - then i remembered the issue with the draw tube.

I pushed in the draw tube flush against the crayford focuser and immediately noted it was dead center - meaning it was the issue with the drawtube and focuser.

I have noted tiny allen-key style screws at the top of the focuser. Are these used to adjust the internal assembly so that the draw tube can be aligned better?

We are talking about a 2 mm gap between the top and the bottom of the tube.

If I am correct - what precautions must I take with this adjustment process and how is it best done?

Thanks so much!

Sean Davies
Revelstoke, British Columbia

#2 yu244720

yu244720

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:57 AM

LOL!

Wouldn't you know it - it worked! Took 2 minutes. Checked with my laser collimator  and it is perfectly aligned. Focuses really smooth now.

I have found no technical literature relating to this type of adjustment. I should do some shots and post on the internet.

Sean

#3 cannon

cannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Got the same thing. A picture is worth a thousand words. Please post.

#4 yu244720

yu244720

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Here is the adjustment procedure that resolved my misalignment problem. I have posted the procedure on Flickr since I do not know how to post photos on this forum as of yet.

I hope this helps.

Sean Davies
Revelstoke, BC

#5 cannon

cannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the photo. It worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic