6 replies to this topic

#1 t-harper5957

t-harper5957

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:56 AM

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for having me here. I just wanted to make a note to those of you that are new to Meade.

I had a second night problem with my ds2114. I was using the focal tube to adjust for a look at saturn. When I realized that I had a two dead spots on my adjustments. Pulling the tube very easy, I found missing teath on the focal tube adjustments.

I called Meade and also my local telescope shop. My shop tried to give me the line of, "Well if it is operator error. Meade won't be able to replace it. Nore can we!!!" Well after a good call to Meade it was no problem with my local shop.

I found on my first night I had a long 2 inch string of grease hanging down from my focal tube. Almost touching my comunlitor (Sorry again spelling here). It was a cold 31 deg outside and Meade said that they had a problem with this. The grease was extra firm, and as I adjusted my focal tube out, some of the teeth were stripped off.

Just a note from a new fan of reflectors.

T-Harper

#2 t-harper5957

t-harper5957

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:59 AM

I also need to note. I have lost my red dot. Did I also press something that turned it off. Or do I have to wait until it finishes it's alignment?

T-Harper

#3 Jess Thompson

Jess Thompson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm a little upset,using my scope tonight the teeth on the focusing tube just ate away in 2 places and stripped out completely...When i took it apart I found that it was all plastic and molded in 1 piece.I looked for a part number but couldn't find 1..Can someone please tell me how to fix this !!! I have the DS2114S...Jess Thompson

#4 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1822 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hi Jess,

What I suggest you do is talk to Bill Vorce with Telescope-Warehouse. He does a lot on eBay and also has a website. He has a lot of parts for various scopes and will likely have a focuser for yours. Once the teeth start stripping off of the strip, there is not much you can do about it.

You need a direct replacement due to the booster lense being glued into the focuser. Other focusers will not work without the booster lens in them. The lens is a necessary part of the scope. The primary mirror is an f/4 spherical mirror that cannot work by itself. It needs the spherical correction that is built into the booster lens.

I purchased a DS-2114 many years ago and have worked extensively with the DS mounts and tripods. Your trouble with hardening grease reinforces a rule I have learned about the hard way. When it starts freezing outside, put the DS scopes and probably many others as well away. They are intended for milder temperatures. I tore up a perfectly good tripod by trying to use it in cold weather, the plastic snap on one of the legs of the older style I had was just too stiff. It was damaged. Later, the leg collapsed and broke the altitude shaft in the mount. The shaft is not replaceable and I had to get a different one.

Over all though, my heavily modified and re-worked scope works very well in warmer weather. Even though it could probably take the colder weather now, I do not take it out then.

Hope this helps,

Bill Steen

#5 Jess Thompson

Jess Thompson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi Bill,
Thank you for your response.I've looked everywhere I can think of for that site,but having a heck of a time.If you could send me his link or email I would really appreciate it,as I've had no luck what so ever.
Thank You again,Jess Thompson

5 hours later,,still can't find the right piece I need......seriously thinking about giving up on Meade all together !!

#6 MistrBadgr

MistrBadgr

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1822 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi Jess,

I guess I missed your latest post reply. I am still getting used to the new website.

www.telescope-warehouse.com

Bill Steen

#7 firemouth

firemouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSt.Louis area

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

The 2114 is a great scope once you learn how to use it and train it. There are some great videos on the website for training the scope sp targets are right in the center of the eyepiece. I would whole heartedly fix it and keep using it! Good luck!
20x50mm Binocs
Meade LS-8 ACF
Celestron SkyScout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users